What are SSFs?
- A SSF is a listed JSE Limited listed derivative whose value is determined by the movement of the underlying share.
- It is a standardised contract of a standard quantity of a specific underlying asset that expires on a predetermined future date and at an agreed price at which it will trade in the future.
- SSF contracts have standardised terms and conditions as determined by the JSE Limited.
SSF contracts can be hard-working additions to almost any portfolio. They are used mainly by hedgers to reduce risk and by speculators to gain exposure to shares they do not own.
SSFs offer gearing and avoid many of the costs (for example, STT and Strate) of trading in the underlying shares. Long or short trades can be executed cost-effectively and without complications.
Why trade SSFs?
SSFs are an exciting and cost-effective alternative to direct share investment with a number of significant benefits, such as:
- Traders can exploit any market movement up or down - by going long (buying when you believe a specific share price will increase) or short (selling when you believe a specific share price will fall).
- SSFs help investors save money, since their trading costs are significantly lower
- SSFs can be used to leverage or gear funds
- Investors can use SSFs to reduce the risk within their existing share portfolio
- Investors can engage in pairs trading when the belief is that the one will outperform the other.
SSFs fit the profile of a high risk/high reward investor, who is looking to outperform the broad market. Stop-loss techniques are an integral part of SSF trading and investors are urged to study these before trading as they can assist in limiting losses in volatile market conditions.
Interactive online tutorials
Our free flash-based course is an interactive tutorial on single stock futures. By going through the material you will learn how the SSF market works, who uses them and which strategies will make you a successful trader on the SSF market.
Standard Online Share Trading offers a number of courses to help you master the trading of shares. We cover the basics of share investing right through to technical analysis, fundamental analysis and derivative trading.
Existing clients can log into the platform to check course topics and details, upcoming dates in your city, and to make a booking.
New clients please phone our call centre for further information.
New clients: Click here to register now with Standard Online Share Trading.
Existing account holders: To trade sff, please:
2. Click on the other products menu
3. Select ssf registration.
Download our brochure to learn more about Single stock futures and how to trade them.